Fighting Flus and Colds Naturally
Supporting your immune system this winter can be easy when you have some tips and tricks up your sleeve!
Your immune system is a very intelligent system. To allow it to do its thing optimally it needs the right balance of nutrients and positive lifestyle factors.
One of the philosophies of naturopathy is 'Prevention Over Cure.' This means supporting your body and immune system so your body is able to fight off any infections before it becomes a problem.
Your immune system is run by many different vitamins and minerals and also by your gut bacteria! Did you know that over 70% of your immune system is based in your gut? So it makes sense to ensure we are eating optimally. You can also use a range of different essential oils to help with your immune system with their antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties.
Here are some tips for supporting your immune system naturally this Winter:
- Include lots of fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices. This is where you can get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals. Important vitamins and minerals to increase include vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium. These can be found in green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, tomatoes, citrus fruits including lemon, kiwi fruit, oranges, and blueberries. Other herbs and spices that may assist immune system include: ginger, garlic, turmeric, oregano, basil and thyme.
- A little bit of sunshine everyday - Vitamin D is essential for a health immune system. Approximately 1 in 3 Australians are Vitamin D deficient.
- Manage your stress - who else goes on a holiday and gets sick straight away? This can be due to your cortisol response in your body and how stress can place larger demands on the body’s nutrient supplies which can result in depletion of nutrients. Stress can cause imbalance with the gut function, increase sugar cravings, impair sleep habits and reduce immune function. Meditation, adequate sleep and self care can all assist with stress management.
- Exercise - increases blood circulation which helps the nutrients in the blood to be taken around the body more effectively. Exercise helps to balance stress hormones and as you exercise you are usually naturally getting more vitamin D as well! Double win!
- Hygiene - Hand sanitiser and washing hands often can help prevent picking up anything that others may be carrying around the place!
- Nutritional and herbal supplements - Very beneficial to people who have busy lives and not enough time to eat the amounts of fruits and vegetables needed to assist daily intakes. Also great for picky eaters who may not get enough fruits and vegetables into their diet. Always consult with your health care practitioner before starting nutritional or herbal supplements.
- Last but certainly not least - ESSENTIAL OILS! There is a lot of information about how essential oils can assist with immune function. Some properties that essential oils have are but not limited to:
Antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, anti allergic, analgesic, anticatarrhal, anti-inflammatory, antitussive and astringent. All of these functions of essential oils may help with conditions such as colds and flu, coughs, excess phlegm, inflammation, sinus blockage, headaches, body aches, bacterial and viral infection and most of all - preventative!
Our Fight the Flu Aroma Trio has been designed specifically to help you keep sickness at bay naturally. It contains Eucalyptus essential oil, Tea Tree essential oil and our Sinus Clear blend. Our Sinus Clear Rollerball is also perfect for keeping in your handbag for when the dreaded cold symptoms start to appear.
We hope these tips and tricks help you stay well this Winter!
This is a guest post written by Integrated Wellness Clinic.
Also in ECO Modern Essentials Blog
Lavender is one of the most well-known and widely used essential oils in the world. The benefits of lavender extend from therapeutic to cosmetic uses, making it an extremely versatile essential oil due to its high antioxidant, antimicrobial, calming and sedative properties. Read More
If you are already using essential oils at home and as part of your daily routine, you will probably love the idea of taking them with you on your next holiday. There are so many ways in which essential oils can support and enhance your travel experience. From easing symptoms of jetlag, indigestion or headaches to healing cuts, scratches and bug bites, as well as boosting energy and immunity, essential oils are a must when traveling.
Life is busy! Everyday there's hustle and bustle and the consequence of living in such a fast-paced world can often be increased stress and pressure, and unhealthy coping habits going along with this. It's likely we've all been guilty of using some not so healthy methods to give us that much needed boost of energy (too much caffeine and high sugar energy drinks). Luckily there are natural alternatives out there to uplift the mood and bring increased energy.