Fighting Flus and Colds Naturally
Supporting your immune system this winter can be easy when you have some tips and tricks up your sleeve!
Your immune system is a very intelligent system. To allow it to do its thing optimally it needs the right balance of nutrients and positive lifestyle factors.
One of the philosophies of naturopathy is 'Prevention Over Cure.' This means supporting your body and immune system so your body is able to fight off any infections before it becomes a problem.
Your immune system is run by many different vitamins and minerals and also by your gut bacteria! Did you know that over 70% of your immune system is based in your gut? So it makes sense to ensure we are eating optimally. You can also use a range of different essential oils to help with your immune system with their antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties.
Here are some tips for supporting your immune system naturally this Winter:
- Include lots of fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices. This is where you can get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals. Important vitamins and minerals to increase include vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium. These can be found in green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, tomatoes, citrus fruits including lemon, kiwi fruit, oranges, and blueberries. Other herbs and spices that may assist immune system include: ginger, garlic, turmeric, oregano, basil and thyme.
- A little bit of sunshine everyday - Vitamin D is essential for a health immune system. Approximately 1 in 3 Australians are Vitamin D deficient.
- Manage your stress - who else goes on a holiday and gets sick straight away? This can be due to your cortisol response in your body and how stress can place larger demands on the body’s nutrient supplies which can result in depletion of nutrients. Stress can cause imbalance with the gut function, increase sugar cravings, impair sleep habits and reduce immune function. Meditation, adequate sleep and self care can all assist with stress management.
- Exercise - increases blood circulation which helps the nutrients in the blood to be taken around the body more effectively. Exercise helps to balance stress hormones and as you exercise you are usually naturally getting more vitamin D as well! Double win!
- Hygiene - Hand sanitiser and washing hands often can help prevent picking up anything that others may be carrying around the place!
- Nutritional and herbal supplements - Very beneficial to people who have busy lives and not enough time to eat the amounts of fruits and vegetables needed to assist daily intakes. Also great for picky eaters who may not get enough fruits and vegetables into their diet. Always consult with your health care practitioner before starting nutritional or herbal supplements.
- Last but certainly not least - ESSENTIAL OILS! There is a lot of information about how essential oils can assist with immune function. Some properties that essential oils have are but not limited to:
Antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, anti allergic, analgesic, anticatarrhal, anti-inflammatory, antitussive and astringent. All of these functions of essential oils may help with conditions such as colds and flu, coughs, excess phlegm, inflammation, sinus blockage, headaches, body aches, bacterial and viral infection and most of all - preventative!
Our Fight the Flu Aroma Trio has been designed specifically to help you keep sickness at bay naturally. It contains Eucalyptus essential oil, Tea Tree essential oil and our Sinus Clear blend. Our Sinus Clear Rollerball is also perfect for keeping in your handbag for when the dreaded cold symptoms start to appear.
We hope these tips and tricks help you stay well this Winter!
Also in ECO Modern Essentials Blog
Have you always wanted to blend your own oils but not known where to start? Maybe you want to mix your own custom perfume or create a blend for cleaning your home? One of the first things to consider is what you’re going to be using this blend for and how you’re going to be using it. Ask yourself, who is this essential oil blend for? What purpose am I creating it for? What effect do I want this blend to have? How will I apply this blend?
We get it, essential oils can be overwhelming! There's pure essential oils, blends, rollerballs and kits, there's floral, woody, herbal, citrus, you can use them in your diffuser, bath, massage.. where do you start!? At ECO. we believe in modernising and simplifying aromatherapy so that we can all enjoy the amazing wellbeing benefits, easily. Firstly, what are you looking for in an essential oil?
This time of year is tough on our immune systems; during Winter many of us are struck down by the dreaded cold and flu. Luckily there are natural remedies to help us fight off colds - we have put together a simple, natural and effective recipe to create your own chest rub. Enjoy! Read More