Essential oils for detoxification
The word detox often brings to mind, purges, lemons, cabbage, fasting and many other ideas. These strong forms of detoxing are helpful for some conditions under the guidance of a health care advisor. However, before this approach becomes necessary we could spend some time each day helping our body to keep us well.
Our bodies have an incredibly intelligent and sophisticated ability to keep us in balance, repair damage and heal. Even in less than optimal conditions our bodies will still work to find ways to keep us alive. A big part of our job is to help our bodies achieve health and balance by creating optimal conditions for it to function in.
Supporting our body’s own detoxification processes.
We have multiple organs and systems for eliminating toxins from our body. Aromatherapy can be used to help nurture these systems and improve our natural detoxifying processes. We can gently improve our health every day by encouraging detoxification.
- The liver helps to remove toxins from our system by filtering our blood, breaking down and neutralising harmful substances and then recirculating the now harmless by-product back into the blood stream where it can be eliminated.
Essential Oils for the Liver: Lemon, Mandarin, Peppermint, Basil, Chamomile, Vetiver.
- The kidneys also filter our blood and they remove toxins that are excreted via urine. Some water and certain chemicals are reabsorbed back into the body for further use.
Essential Oils for the Kidneys: Pine, Juniper Berry, Rosemary, Fennel.
- The Digestive system removes toxins via elimination.
Essential Oils for the Digestive system: Peppermint, Fennel, Ginger, Lemon, Rosemary, Black Pepper, Clove.
- The lymphatic system removes waste from the cells and carries them to processing organs and from there they are eliminated. The lymphatic system relies on us moving for it to work.
Essential Oils for the Lymphatic System: Juniper, Lemon, Chamomile, Rosemary, Clary Sage.
- The skin is involved in detoxification because some toxins are dissolved and excreted out of the body via our sweat.
Essential Oils for the Skin: Geranium, Chamomile, Lavender, Sandalwood, Neroli.
- The lungs are where gases and other volatile substances are excreted via the breath.
Essential Oils for the Lungs: Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Peppermint.