Meditation is a beautiful gift we can give our minds and bodies and is a very powerful tool in increasing overall wellbeing. Meditation helps to calm the mind, body and spirit, it helps us to align with our centre and find clarity.
Some people struggle with meditation during their early practices, particularly struggling to not become distracted by noises in the environment around them. Fragrance is an important part of a meditation practice and it can help to maintain focus and create a calming environment for those new to the practice. A few drops of essential oil can be added to your pulse points, your third eye (the space between your eyes), diffused or vaporised or used to make a room spray.
1. Frankincense: Frankincense has long been held as one of the most sacred oils for spirituality, it has been linked to rituals and ceremonies for thousands of years for cleansing, healing and enlightenment. It also promotes grounding, openness and balance and helps you to connect with your higher self.
2. Neroli: Neroli is a powerful oil to help promote self-love and acceptance. It’s floral aroma is very restful, and the centering effects of Neroli can lead to increased mindfulness, clarity and inner peace during your practice.
3. Sandalwood: Sandalwood is helpful in healing deep emotional and spiritual wounds, which is often what we look for in meditation. It is also grounding and helps to open the heart and promote trust within your self.
4. Rose: Rose essential oil is the universal fragrance of love, and can be helpful for opening the heart to receive love, particularly self love.
5. Lavender: Lavender is best known for its relaxing and calming properties, so it’s the perfect oil to use in a meditation practice before sleep. Lavender helps to put you in the right mind frame to receive enlightenment and clarity from your practice.
6. Patchouli: Patchouli is deeply grounding and considered the oil of peace, it will help to calm the mind.
7: Eucalyptus: Meditation is very much based on the breath, so if you’re congested or not breathing clearly, you will have difficulty achieving a meditative state. Eucalyptus is a fresh, clearing scent and can help to clear the airways and release any tightness in the chest.