We all enjoy spending extra time outside during the warmer months. But the warmer weather also brings along insects, bugs and mosquitoes. This year, instead of reaching for your usual store bought insect repellent, why not try making your own? We've crafted a recipe using all natural products to keep the bugs away, naturally.
Why natural insect repellent?
Most insect repellents contain toxic chemicals which can be damaging to your skin and the environment. Essential oils are a great way to naturally prevent bug bites as most insect are repelled by the scent. This can protect your health, and prevent toxic chemicals impacting the environment.
Here is an easy recipe for an all-natural homemade and effective insect repellent.
Homemade Insect Repellent
What you'll need:
- Distilled Water
- Distilled alcohol (Witch Hazel)
- Citronella essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- 95ml spray bottle
- Mix half part distilled water and distilled alcohol in a 95ml spray bottle.
- Add the following essential oils:
- 15 drops Citronella essential oil
- 10 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 5 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Geranium essential oil
- Shake thoroughly.
To use: Hold approximately 30cm away from the skin and spray onto exposed skin. Reapply as needed. Always do a patch test first.
Extra tip: You can also use essential oils to heal insect bites.
- Apply 1 drop of lavender essential oil neat to the site to reduce inflammation.
- Mix 1 drop of peppermint essential oil diluted in 10ml carrier oil. Apply a small amount to the affected site to help relieve itch.